Do I need a licensed builder to build my tiny home?


Tiny homes have exploded in popularity in recent years. This can be put down to a number of factors including increasing house prices due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the rise in interest in minimalist living as well as more people looking to live a more sustainable lifestyle.

This unprecedented jump in popularity has given rise to numerous tiny home businesses setting up shop to meet consumer demands. However, not all tiny home builders are equal in terms of quality and qualifications. 

If you’re shopping around for a tiny home builder, here’s some points to add to your research list so you can make the most informed decision possible.

eBook: 5 Clever Design Features for a Tiny Home

The rise of “backyard” operators

The laws and regulations regarding tiny homes haven’t quite kept up with their booming trend.

To answer the title question of this blog - do you need a licensed builder to build your tiny home - the answer is technically no. This is because tiny homes are classified as caravans in most jurisdictions (if they are on a trailer) and consequently they are not considered a fixed structure. So anyone who is handy enough can build a tiny home without needing to go through council. 

There are many “backyard” companies entering the market, however they lack the safeguards that registered builders carry such as insurance as well as in-depth construction experience. So there are significant risks to take into consideration if you hire someone who isn’t licensed. 

Why peace of mind is invaluable 

Your tiny home is a serious investment. You want it to be built to the highest possible standard so that it can withstand rough weather conditions, the rigors of transport plus the wear and tear of daily life. Just like you would want a normal sized home to stand the test of time. 

A licensed builder in Queensland will be registered with the QBCC (or equivalent in other states). The QBCC provides numerous protections to home buyers such as dispute resolution services and this includes tiny homes. 

Tiny home builders who are licensed and have QBCC insurance will go through all the necessary checks and channels to ensure your tiny home is completely and utterly structurally sound. 

And while tiny homes do not require council approval, some councils place limits on the amount of time people can permanently live in one as well as the number of tiny homes that can be placed on a property. A registered builder will have an understanding of these rules and will ensure that your plans for your tiny home/s aren’t breaking any rules. 

A registered builder will also be able to provide you with a Gas Certificate. Certain builds, such as permanent structures, may also require a Frame Certificate and an Electricity Certificate, and these can also be provided as required. These are imperative documents as your tiny home will be essentially worthless if you try to sell it at some point in the future. 

So while going with an unregistered tiny home builder may save you some money in build costs, it may cost you in other ways down the line if you forgo the experience and protection of a licensed builder. 

Ready to go tiny?

Alphaline Tiny Homes is a part of Alphaline Homes Group Pty Ltd. We are a fully licensed builder and our QBCC Licence Number is 15024377.

If you’d like to explore the benefits of downsizing into a tiny home, please contact us or browse through our selection of designs. 

We offer completed tiny houses that are delivered to your block, ready to move in. So go tiny with the Alphaline team today. 

eBook: 5 Clever Design Features for a Tiny Home

Pin It on Pinterest